2 lbs. ripe heirloom or cherry tomatoes or jar of Early Girl canned tomatoes
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
6 large basil leaves
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1c. or more freshly grated Grana or Romano cheese or Double 8 Dairy fresh mozzarella
12 oz. of pasta, bow tie or preferred type
1. Cut the tomatoes into 1” cubes making sure you catch all the juices, or cut cherry tomatoes in half.
2. Chop the garlic cloves into a fine paste. (This is easier if you add some of the salt as you smash with the flat side of the knife.) Scatter the garlic paste and the remaining salt over the tomatoes. Stir gently.
3. Pile up the basil leaves and cut them into thin strips. Scatter these over the tomatoes, and sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Pour in the oil, stir and fold to coat the tomato mix and distribute the seasonings.
5. Cover the bowl and let marinate at room temperature for 1-2 hrs.
6. Toss the marinated sauce with freshly cooked pasta and cheese.